Sunday, October 26, 2008

Who needs XC anyway...

Oh man, rough day at the office. Saturday was BC Cross and I was quite excited about it until about half a kilometer into the race and I realized how specialized I have become. I haven't been in a cross race since NAIA nationals 2003 I believe. The uneven ground and short hills, and soft ground were really unpleasant. That is cross though. So anyway I wasn't feeling too good and given the conditions things went south in a big hurry and I found myself going backwards after 4k, and there was no where to hide! At least in a road race you can fake it on a bad day to a certain extent but the choppy hills and uneven ground etc doesn't give you that luxury in cross. Rather than struggle through the race and have my ass handed to me I opted to save it for the roads and pull out. Generally I don't like to pull out of races but it didn't seem like a bad option seeing as I am not a cross runner. Anyway, crappy day for me but thats how it is, i'll try and find a road race soon to get that out of my system. In the meantime I am going to inject some mileage into the program. And National cross is now out, no more cross for this guy unless it is just for fun. Looking forward to hitting the pavement tomorrow morn.

No comments:

Post a Comment