Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ironworkers Hills: awesome!

After a few days recovery from the half on sunday I decided to get back at it since my legs were feeling recovered and I was actually bouncing like Bekele on my run last night. This morning I set out to do some hill repeats I have started the last couple weeks. The workout is approximately 90secon hill repeats off 90seconds jog. It starts at a fire hydrant and heads up a 3 switchback paved hill and ends at a post at the start of the south end of the Ironworkers Memorial, or Second Narrows Bridge heading over to North Van. There is a trail that cuts through the switchback so I am able to get back down to the start of the hill in 90seconds. So thats the workout, and today it was great! I am really getting strong on hills and learning to run the workout right getting stronger as I go, today I did 8 repeats at: 93, 91, 90, 88, 86, 86, 84, 82. Not bad, if I do say so myself. It actually reminds me of a log by Greg Meyer(2:09:00-Boston), he used to do 'Pump House Hills' that were around 90 seconds as a staple workout. I have always found hill repeats of 60 to 90 seconds off approximately equal rest to be the best type of hill strength workout for me, and it will definitely help me to be strong in cross. I am continually more excited about running and really enjoying the relaxed lower mileage approach of this cross country season. Oh and as an update, my calf/shin problem has really gotten much better and is only sore once in a while, so that is great news. I am looking forward to the workout on the BC Cross course this saturday and long run or perhaps another relaxed hill fartlek on sunday. Keep runnin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment