Friday, March 14, 2008

Great to be back (to Marathon Training)

Well due to inquiries regarding when I would have a webpage again about my training and my recent departure from the Brooks Marathon Project, I have decided to launch a Blog so my friends, family and anyone else interested can keep track of my training leading up to the Ottawa Marathon - Canadian Championships, and one might say...Olympic Trials...if only...

In a nutshell, over the last 6 months I had been living in Toronto training with the BCMP putting in some really solid miles and very good training, however I felt that my situation in Toronto was not ideal (on mental, emotional, physical and spiritual levels) and with the buildup to Ottawa looming I had to make a clutch decision to move back to BC. The decision was made, and here I am in Richmond, happy as I have ever been and my training is reflecting that. As with all experiences I am thankful that I went to Toronto, I wouldn't be where I am now without that chapter and I am grateful for the friendships, lessons learned, and knowledge acquired while out there.

So here we go, as I write this there are 71 days 11 hours and some-odd minutes until the gun goes off in Ottawa and I am very excited. Over the next 10 and a half weeks I will be doing 6 races, all of which will be during full training weeks so none of them will be at 100% rested state. The Vancouver Marathon will be a training run to practice gels and waterstations and is a perfect way to get my head ready for the marathon 3 weeks later. One of the very valuable things I have taken away from coach in Toronto was to ease off on the volume so I will be sticking to about 115miles/week, so that I can really hammer the workouts and get fast rather than just strong through logging big miles, as well I will be rolling my long runs at 5:45 mile pace. In addition to this i'll be doing some classic mile repeat workouts, LT runs, 200m strides, and medium long runs. Its a simple program, some might say old school, but its just running, to quote Bomba: "It's not rocket science"

Thats all for now, i'll post at least on a weekly basis, next post after the Comox Half-Marathon Sunday March 16.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ryan,
    I just wanted to say that I really enjoy hearing the little snipbits of your career over the years, and have a great deal of respect for your holistic outlook on running as a chosen part of your life. Saying that, I would like to commend you for having have the resolve to make your "clutch decision" and wish you the best of in your buildup to Ottawa!
    Edward Hoey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog frequently so that I can keep close tabs on how you are doing! We will miss you in the Marsh tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete