Sunday, March 30, 2008

1 mile - 1609 meters of Agony, wk3

If long run day is my favorite day of the week then Thursday, mile repeat day, is my least favorite. Some might call me crazy but I would take the suffering of a marathon over the pain of a mile or 5k race, any day of the week. From day-one, I have found VO2 Max workouts(5k race pace intervals) to be the most mentally and physically difficult workouts for me. The feeling of that slowly accumulating oxygen debt is a discomfort I can tolerate far less than full out sprints, LT runs, even pounding out a 26.2miler.

I have picked mile repeats for this workout because it turns out my block is slightly over a mile in distance and the mile is mentally easier than a 2000m interval which for my level of fitness is probably ideal. I am not afraid to admit that I am mentally weak when it comes to this type of workout! This week however was a step in the right direction. Thursday morning I headed out for my run focused and determined to start the workout conservatively so that it wasn't a total death march like last week. I headed out and ran the first mile in 4:49, then the next 3 in 4:46, 4:44, 4:45. I was very pleased with the effort because the last 1/4 mile of each was into the wind, and the part of the loop that should have a tailwind was sheltered. Despite that, it was the even effort and strength I found in the latter part of the workout that made the session a success.

Well that's another week in the books and I am happy with it. I rearranged the distribution a bit which resulted in being a bit more rested for the workouts and cut the 200m strides to allow my calves to heal, which is coming along nicely. 8 weeks to go!
Breakdown:
LR - 22mi @ 5:41.7/mi
Int - 4mi @ 4:46.3/mi
MdL - 15mi @ 5:52.9/mi
LT - 10mi @ 5:10.3/mi
Supp - 2 - Strength Session
Volume - 112mi

2 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff, Ryan. What do your strength workouts consist of? What is your plan for the Vancouver Marathon, (which I see on your schedule)? Good luck with the rest of your training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. way to go amigo!

    look for me at Vancouver Marathon, well, most likely well after you've crossed the line.

    I'm sure you're gonna say no bloody way. But I am the race director for at few North Shore Races, and it would be amazing to have you out at the Peak Challenge on July 19th. No Technical, pure uphill fitness. (right up Seymour) It is billed as the National Champs, and will get guys like Loutitt, Dignum, Hayden, Lambert who are all high callibre climbers, throw you in the mix... let me know what you think.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete