Monday, March 17, 2008

Comox Valley Half(1:07:59), wk1

This race was in Courtenay BC, which is located about halfway up the east side of Vancouver Island. The weather was perfect for running, probably around 5 degrees, no rain and no wind until about the last 2k. The course was fair, although from about 3.5k to half-way a pretty solid climb.

The plan was to run the race at a 'hard, controlled' effort not a race effort so that I can continue with training as usual and I executed that perfectly, however I hoped the resulting time would be a bit faster. I cruised through 5k in 15:50, then 10k in 32:32, and I think 15k in 48:18, finishing up in 1:07:59. It was a very good, disciplined effort where I focused on maintaining an even pace and good form, while not going to the well. All in all I am very happy with the run. I am planning to make a change in the racing schedule because it was a hassle to get up to Courtenay, and the Merville 15k is in the same area.

As for the week, I couldn't have asked for things to go better given the travel from Toronto to Richmond on tuesday then over to the island on saturday and up to the race sunday morning. Week One is in the books and a great start to the Ottawa build up.
Breakdown:
LR - 22mi @ 5:44.5/mi
Int - 3xmi @ 4:47.5/mi
MdL- 15mi @ 6:07.5/mi
Race - 13.1mi @ 5:11.3/mi
Supp - 2 - 10x200m @ 33s
- 3x strength session
Volume - 112mi

No comments:

Post a Comment