Thursday, April 23, 2009

....Sun Run

.....continued from last post....

Race Day! Despite the lacklustre week or so I was excited to lace up the T5s and hit the pavement for a quick 10k. I was prepared for disaster since my breathing had been so poor the previous few days but hoped the low pressure system and morning would help. Richard had said that this would be more of a "workman's race"(term coined by Bruce Deacon) meaning that we are training for a marathon here and we cant expect anything special, just a good hard race effort. Obviously as an athlete we hope that something special DOES in fact happen and you run really well! Not the case! In actuality I was happy with the race. I didn't feel good for any of it, in hindsight my legs did feel stale, and my breathing was only a bit of a problem(I had to breathe harder than I normaly would but it wasnt a restricting factor in performance I don't think, much like last year). That said, I didn't feel BAD either, and put in a strong mental and physical effort which I am happy about. I am also pleased that I was able to be very disciplined during the race, I new my groin and hip flexors were a problem and in a few point in the race I had the chance to really go full throttle and I held back knowing the fight was in Ottawa and risking injury here would be foolish. Unfortunately I didn't get to have fun like last year in the Sun Run and Times Colonist where I had a great kick and ran like a wild animal, that was fun! So, all in all, it turned out to be a "workman's race" who knew, Richard was right...again. Running sub 31 in these conditions is just fine with me, hopefully this summer I can get in 10k and try to break 30, I know its there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment