Friday, April 10, 2009

Row, Row, Row your boat....

Into the grind. Well now that school is over, well, since last week actually, but now that classes are over I feel like my focus has really come to full capacity for running and we are into the critical few weeks leading up to Ottawa. It is really important to keep this focus because training is hard and the volume is up, so any lapse in focus could mean injury or sickness or both. The reminders and cautions from Richard are invaluable and I am trying to make sure our communication is as transparent as possible. Right now everything is basically going as well as it could, despite the groin issues. They seem to be subsiding with the addition of some exercises and light stretching, and luckily I had to make very little, if any, concessions in training because of it.

I am starting to feel like a marathoner again.

The reason I say this is not because of the fatigue of the training but the mindset that comes from it. How to explain....ok here's an example. On wednesday night we did a 8 x mile workout(longest interval workout i've ever done) for a 14mile session altogether, which was really quite tiring. Then on thursday, while tired and sore, I headed out and did a 15mile run and despite being sore and tired my body decided it wanted to get moving on the return portion of the run. It is this type of run that tells me i'm a marathoner again, when you are tired and sore and your legs still want to roll. It is a great feeling! I really feel like I am on track, not on a high, but on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment