Tuesday, March 31, 2009

20miles, finally!

I haven't been to concerned about getting in serious long runs in the past couple months but its time to get that distance on the legs. Not so much that the focus is shifting that way but there is certainly some more importance being layed on those runs. As I have stated in the past, I love long runs, not only do I love them but they are my forte. This monday I basically just wanted to get the volume in so I didn't worry about the pace too much. I made sure I fueled up the day before, got 9 hours sleep, made sure I was hydrated, and took two gels with me. The plan was to run up to SFU along the transcanada trail, and more or less grind it out, being the hilly run that it is. The groin was a bit tight from the workout on saturday but ended up not being a problem, and I was able to get moving pretty decently after about an hour. I am not sure why it is but it almost always takes me an hour of running to really start feeling efficient and strong when I do a long run, which definitely helped on this one because at that point I was on the far side of burnaby mountain! I cruised up the trail no problem and back to my house, no sweat, taking gels at 45mins and 95mins. It was actually very encouraging that I was able to do a 20miler like that with ease, which again is new for me. This whole program is so new in that I am coming from a place of lower volume and higher intensity but I am feeling like I am in a similar fitness level to where I was last year. The great thing about it is that at this point last year things really came unravelled but now I have a good coach and consistency on my side which is definitely exciting.

I am looking forward to seeing what I can do in the three upcoming races, lets hope for PBs in all three! Wouldn't that be nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment