Monday, May 26, 2008

Ottawa Marathon(DNF), wk11

Well i'm just going to write a quick note here, I have made it a rule not to evaluate a bad race until 2 or 3 days has passed so I aim to do just that. But here is how it played out for me. I decided the morning of the race that I would go with the 2:17 pace group because I was still having breathing problems in Ottawa, so I thought it wise to go out conservatively. I also decided that since i was going out with the slower group(the other group was going at 2:15 pace, which is actually a big difference believe it or not) that I would get rolling at 10miles after we had gone through all the hills. I stuck to this plan and sped up at about 10 miles but after a couple of kms felt aweful and by 20k I realized it was not going to be my day and I would likely struggle in and run somewhere around 2:22-2:24 which to me is not acceptable. I mean no disrespect to the guys that ran in that range but at this point in my career it does not do me any good to run that kind of time. As I stated after the race "you've got to know when to fold 'em." Anyhow, that is the nature of marathoning, on race day, anything can happen, given the way training went, I felt there was an equal chance of me running well or running poorly, and unfortunately things didn't work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment