Sunday, May 31, 2009

Shaughnessy 8k - 3rd

Well, I won't say it was easy by any means. I knew going into this race it was going to be tough and it certainly didn't disappoint. I am basically 'racing into shape' and this was a step in the right direction. I went out at the start with David Jackson thinking he would be a good guy to key off of since we have run some similar times, and if I were going to run well it would be at roughly his pace. I had no idea that Ryan Mackenzie was in the race since I have never met him and didn't know what he looked like. So there was this running room guy hammering off the front and I was wondering what was going on until I asked David who it was. From about a mile in I realized I wasn't going to be able to stay with David so I just got my grind on and rode it out. I am pretty happy with the effort I put in since I am not strong on hills right now and was a bit worried about my calf and groin. The groin turned out to be just fine and we will see how the calf turns out, as of now they are both roasted, and I suspect some serious soreness over the next few days. The most important thing is that I got in a solid effort on a course that is not terribly easy, and I had fun. I am looking forward to the 10k next weekend now and hopefully can get a half workout in this week.

In other news, I ran twice up at sfu during class breaks last week and really enjoyed running on the trails, I am seriously feeling the trail racing itch so I am going to have to look around for one this summer for sure. Speaking of school, my schedule this semester is kick ass! And I am totally stoked for the summer of long weekends, running, relaxing and of course studying, good classes for the most part too! I think this downswing has more or less played itself out and I am excited for some more positive energy to flow. Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment