Monday, April 14, 2008

Sooke River 10k(31:39), wk5

Sooke is a small community about a 40minute drive or so northwest of Victoria BC, a beautiful area for a low key race/hard workout, and the course was a stones throw from my Uncle's home. I would say the course was moderate to hard because there were no flat sections, with one or two big hills and the rest rolling hills. I have always been a poor hill runner and with my lower legs still damaged from last week this run was really tough. At first reaction I was disappointed because the time was slow but decided to cut myself some slack after looking at the week as a whole.

The week started out with an easy day of 6miles to recover from the Sunday half-marathon effort, which energetically turned out not really being a problem, however my lower legs were beat to dog-sh!t and I realized doing any amount of intensity this week was going to be too risky. Tuesday was a bit of a difficult call due to the sore legs. I wanted to do one over-distance run in my marathon build up and had scheduled it for this week for two reasons: the progressive long run and half-marathon are fairly similar training stimuli(running 5:20/mi for 7 miles after running progression for 15mi as opposed to running 5:00-5:10/mi relatively fresh), and being as the race this weekend was a lower-key one I could risk being even less sharp than usual. Doing an over-distance run two days after a hard half-marathon effort isn't the best training tool but is a good confidence booster mentally and tells me my body will hold up well in the latter stages of the marathon despite running what I would consider relatively low mileage. The rest of the week I continued to run the volume planned but cut the interval workout to just two 1/2miles, and the medium long run to 6:15/mi pace with a 2 mile pick up, both of these to keep a little bit of weekly consistency and keep the legs moving while still allowing them to heal up. The week on the whole was satisfactory, and I am excited to see how I fare in the Sun Run and Times Colonist races over the next two weekends.
I will write again this afternoon about my training philosophy and such, as I have made some adjustments/refinements/finishing touches on the program recently.
Breakdown:
LR - 30mi @ 5:58.7/mi
Int - 2 x 1/2mi @ 2:17
MdL - 15mi @ 6:15.0/mi
Race - 6.125mi @ 5:05.5/mi
Supp - 2 - Strength Session
Volume - 108mi

No comments:

Post a Comment